October is a very cool month for us horror writers. It’s the month when a lot of people are interested in the same things we are every other day of the year – creepy movies, things that go bump in the night, scary stories by candlelight… you know, stuff like that. It’s the time when liking horror movies is cool rather than cause for side eye, and cosplay is a shared experience rather than something to gawk it. For those of us who live and breathe this kind of stuff on a daily basis, know that we welcome you, part time horror folks! We enjoy giving movie suggestions and sharing the horror titles on our ‘to be read’ lists. We love helping you put together the perfect costume for the party you are going to. Some of us know where you can get black lipstick that will come off without having to scrub your lips raw. Many of us know who makes the best pumpkin cheesecake in our respective towns.
Welcome, friends! 🙂 We’re happy to have you.
Every October I embark on a 31 Days of Horror Movies challenge and I absolutely adore the journey. This October I have watched some really cool movies, such as Creep, Old People, and Incantation. Follow me on FB (www.facebook.com/LMarieWood) or Twitter (@LMarieWood1) to join the fun. Any time I watch a movie I like, I post about it – it’s the film theory geek in me, I can’t help it. So, follow me and join in the discussion.
Cool things are happening right now:
- My screenplay, Low Budget, won a couple of film festivals this month! I am so honored. What started as a little idea in the back of my mind has turned into something that has touched people enough to consider it for an award… and then it actually WON! WOWZA! The tagline: Territory is important, as a film crew racing against time finds out when they get caught in the crossfire of the undead. It’s a fun story!
- I am literally the doctor of scary things. I successfully defended my dissertation and have earned a PhD in Creative Writing. You may have to put up with some doctor jokes – I mean, most likely yes, this will happen. WOOHOO!
- Under Her Skin, the anthology where my poem “Beautiful” is housed, won First Place in Bookfest Book Awards! HOLY COW!!!
- The crowfunding effort for Blackened Roots: An Anthology of the Undead came out this month. I am honored to be on the TOC with such greats as Sheree Renee Thomas, Eden Royce, Steve Van Patten, and more. If you want to contribute to this amazing publishing project, check it out here!
I am waiting with bated breath for the third novel in The Realm Trilogy to hit the stores. It is bittersweet to wrap up this story, but I did so with respect for the the journey… and what a heck of a run it has been! Accursed is due out in the middle of Dec. Preorder today!
My first mystery novel is hot on Accursed’s heels (that’s just how it goes sometimes!). Mars, The Band Man, and Sara Sue is available in Dec – stay tuned for more on this one!
- Perhaps the coolest of them all hasn’t happened just yet. The trailer for my first short film, 271 Raeburn Avenue, is scheduled to drop on Halloween!!!
That is freaking awesome for a horror lover like me! Follow me on FB and/or Twitter so you don’t miss it! For now, here is the boss poster:
We launched a new horror class at the Speculative Fiction Academy this month, adding to our pretty robust offering in the genre. It’s called Religion and Horror and if you ever wanted to figure out how to make that subgenre work, this class is a must see. Check it out!
That’s all I have, folks, but before I go, allow me to make this Public Service Announcement: Award season is upon us and I have a lot (and I do mean A LOT) of goodies that are eligible this year. If you are so inclined, please take a look at the list and do your thing! If you saw the list before, I have added two new pieces to it, so give it another look.
And now I leave you with the great Screaming Jay Hawkins, because why not?
Until next time,
L. Marie Wood